Products are selected by our editors, we may earn commission from links on this page.

For nearly six months, 596 completed ballots sat untouched inside a locked drop box in rural Northern California, never counted, never noticed. Election staff in Humboldt County discovered the sealed envelopes on May 4, 2026, left over from the November 2025 special election on Proposition 50. The votes were real, the box was locked, and the ballots were intact.
The Drop Box Nobody Fully Checked

The November 4, 2025 Statewide Special Election had come and gone, results certified, tallies finalized. But one drop box in Humboldt County had not been fully emptied when workers came to collect ballots. A miscommunication between staff left 596 sealed envelopes sitting at the bottom. No one flagged it. No one double-checked. The box was locked back up, and the election moved on without those votes ever entering the count.
The Man Who Took Responsibility

Juan Pablo Cervantes, Humboldt County’s clerk-recorder and registrar of voters, did not deflect when the error surfaced. He said publicly that while an election worker failed to follow proper procedures, the failure belonged to him. According to Cervantes, he did not have strong enough controls in place to catch the mistake. “That outcome is unacceptable and runs counter to the core of what this office stands for,” he said in a statement released Wednesday. That accountability, however, could not undo what had already been missed.
What Was at Stake: Proposition 50

The election in question was not a minor local vote. Proposition 50 was a statewide redistricting measure that redrew California’s congressional district maps, a move expected to give Democrats a net gain of seats in the U.S. House before the 2026 midterms. The measure was framed as a response to Texas redrawing its own maps in favor of Republicans. It passed. Officials confirmed that the 596 uncounted ballots would not have changed the result, but that detail alone did not quiet the controversy.
Sealed, Untampered, and Now Caught in Legal Limbo

After the discovery, election staff confirmed the ballots had not been touched. The drop box was locked throughout, and all 596 envelopes remained sealed, meaning no one had accessed or altered the votes inside. The office immediately contacted the California Secretary of State to determine what legally comes next. Under California’s constitution, those ballots should have been counted before the election was certified on December 5, 2025. The law also requires them to be destroyed six months after certification, creating a tight legal window.
The New Rules Born From the Mistake

Humboldt County’s Office of Elections did not wait for criticism to force a fix. Officials implemented what they call a “lock out, tag out” procedure, requiring staff to physically verify that every drop box is completely empty before it is secured and before any election results are finalized. The new protocol adds a layer of redundancy that was missing when the November ballots were collected. According to Cervantes, the county is also pursuing every legal avenue to get the 596 votes counted before the destruction deadline arrives.
California Under the Microscope

The timing of this discovery is difficult to separate from its political context. Within minutes of polls opening for the November Proposition 50 election, President Trump posted on Truth Social calling the vote a “giant scam” and claiming the redistricting process was rigged. California Secretary of State Shirley Weber pushed back, stating that California elections have been validated by the courts. Governor Gavin Newsom and other Democratic leaders called Trump’s claims baseless. The Humboldt error, though confirmed as an honest mistake, landed directly into that charged environment.
Humboldt Is Not the First, and California Is Not Alone

Humboldt County has largely stayed out of election controversy in recent years, but its past is not spotless. In 2008, vote-tallying software failed to count 197 ballots from a single precinct before officials caught the error. Nearby Shasta County has become more visible on the issue: its Board of Supervisors voted in 2023 to remove Dominion Voting Systems machines and pursue hand-counting instead. Meanwhile, Riverside County Sheriff and Republican gubernatorial candidate Chad Bianco drew sharp criticism after seizing roughly 650,000 ballots to investigate alleged fraud.
What 596 Voters Were Promised

At the center of this story are 596 people who did everything right. They filled out their ballots, placed them in an official drop box, and trusted that the system would handle the rest. According to Cervantes, that trust was broken. “We ask a lot of voters,” he said. “We ask you to participate, to trust the process, and to believe that your vote will be counted. 596 voters did exactly what we asked of them, and we fell short.” His office says it remains committed to finding a legal path to count every one of those votes before time runs out.
Human Error in a System That Cannot Afford It

No fraud was committed. No one tampered with the ballots. A single procedural lapse, a miscommunication about whether a box was empty, left nearly 600 votes uncounted for six months. That is both reassuring and alarming at once. Election systems are built on layered safeguards for exactly this reason. When one layer fails, the others are supposed to catch it. In Humboldt County, they did not. The real question this incident leaves open is not whether the result changed, but whether voters can keep trusting systems that depend so heavily on no one making a mistake.
